Do you remember that old camp song about making new friends, but keeping the old? “One is silver and the other gold,” it said.
Those are marketing tools in a nutshell:
- Digital media is your new friend – From social media ads to clean and informative websites, they get your name and products out in front of a lot of people
- Traditional marketing tools are your old friends, the gold – From print ads to direct mail, radio and TV commercials, they’re valuable, trusted and they still work really well when carefully targeted.
Two recent stories in online publications – one on Ragan’s PR Daily (with info from Florida-based marketing firm MDG Advertising) and the other highlighting a Pew Research Center study – offered information that shows the value of each, including:
- Radio nets 271 million listeners each week
- 88 percent of U.S. consumers check their email daily
- 88 percent of Americans age 18 to 29 use social media (and so do 78 percent of those age 30 to 49, 64 percent of those age 50 to 64 and 37 percent of those age 65 and older)
- 68 percent of U.S. adults are Facebook users and nearly 75 percent use YouTube
- 51 percent of customers noticed a billboard in the past month – and 47 percent remembered the message
Considering this, we offer these tips: Know your customers so you can best reach those who are ready to hear your message. Mix it up, using traditional and new media to get the very best results.