It seems that everyone is blogging about something these days. There are tech blogs, political blogs, medical blogs, cooking blogs – there are even blogs about blogging. But to create a successful blog that enjoys a loyal following, you must provide interesting content that benefits readers.
People, being the curious creatures that we are, want to learn, solve and do, but we want our information fed to us in small bites, which is why “How-to…” and “Top 10…” (or less) headlines tend to get substantially more clicks.
The key is to deliver what you have to say in an appealing way. Make readers laugh, ponder, envision and most importantly, motivate them to act. The trick? Say it in 250-500 words or less.
Here’s some inspiration to get you started.
- Begin with your topic. Explore every angle, and choose what would be most interesting to readers.
- Consider a story, example or antidote for your lead graph.
- Focus on the good stuff. Take out whatever is unnecessary or can be held over for another blog.
- Identify key points with bullets or lists.
- Add keywords, links and photos for search engine optimization.
- Use a strong headline and subheads. Remember, the average attention span of an online reader is just 10 seconds.
- Craft the conclusion. Give readers something to ponder or act upon.
Stick to the essentials. Keep it interesting. And they’ll be back. To learn more about successful blogging, contact us.